This is a $2,500 non-renewable scholarship for the 2014-2015 academic year for students enrolled or planning to enroll in a degree program in scientific and technical translation or in interpreter training.
- Applicants must be graduate or undergraduate students enrolled or planning to enroll in a program leading to a degree in scientific and technical translation or in interpretation at an accredited U.S. college or university.
- Applicants must be full-time students who have completed at least one year of college or university studies.
- Generally, an applicant should present a minimum GPA of 3.00 overall and a 3.50 in translation- and interpretation-related courses.
- Applicants should have at least one year of study remaining in their program; however, in certain circumstances, one residual semester may be accepted.
- Applicants must be U.S. citizens.
- Demonstrated achievement in translation and interpretation;
- Academic record;
- Three letters of recommendation by faculty or nonacademic supervisor;
- A 300-500-word essay outlining the applicant's interests and goals as they relate to the field of translation or interpretation.
- Application forms may be obtained by contacting the American Foundation for Translation and Interpretation at ATA (email@example.com)
- Completed applications must be received by AFTI by June 8, 2014.
- A completed application consists of:
a) Application cover sheet;
b) Three letters of recommendation in a sealed envelope with the recommender's signature over the envelope flap;
d) A copy of the applicant's academic record with a copy of the major/minor or other program form, or a departmental statement of admission to the translation or interpretation program.
A national award committee will announce the name of the scholarship award winner by the end of August 2014. The committee's decision is final.
About JTG, Inc .
Founded in 1995 by ATA Past President Muriel Jérôme-O'Keeffe, JTG, Inc. is a language consultancy that supports homeland security, intelligence, and global business with cross-cultural communications. JTG, Inc. has underwritten the AFTI scholarship since 2001. Visit: www.jtg-inc.com .
Please submit the application to:
Nicholas Hartmann, President
American Foundation for Translation and Interpretation, Inc.
American Translators Association
225 Reinekers Lane, Suite 590
Alexandria, VA 22314